Thursday, May 04, 2006

Even the mailman here is friendly and helpful. In Curtis Park, for most of the time I lived there, Donner Way was served by two different mail carriers neither of whom seemed terribly concerned about delivering mail to the people or addresses indicated on the item that had been posted. While neither was physically like the Newman character from Seinfeld, both seemed to possess his utter contempt for the postal customer he allegedly served.

Well, the same cannot be said of the two guys who currently share the route here. I subscribe to New American Paintings which comes out every couple months in a square softcover book format, The books are mailed in cardboard envelopes that offer some protection from postal abuse but aren't all that effective. Since I have a rural type mailbox here, I have had a problem with the carrier delivering the books and stuffing them into the mailbox. While this doesn't permanently damage them, they get curled up and the cover can get a little crimped, so last month, when I happened to be leaving at the same time the carrier arrived, I asked if it would be possible to put this one particular item against the back gate or somewhere else where it would be relatively safe and not bent. He said that wouldn't be a problem and that he would alert the other carrier on the route. I, of course, assumed that it would be unlikely to be accomplished given my experiences in Sacramento, so you can imagine my surprise when I got home from hiking in the National Forest yesterday and found my mail in the mailbox and the latest issue of New American Paintings lying inertly on my front porch right in front of the door. I just can't get over how considerate most Southerners are.

We did have a little excitement on our hike yesterday. I had decided to take Abner for a 2-hour or so hike starting in the Arboretum and heading out into the National Forest. There is one particular route that we can take on a sunny day when I want to keep him in shade as much as possible. As we were climbing up Hard Times trail, still well inside the Arboretum grounds and on a broad and heavily used trail, I happened to glance down at what appeared to be a stick until it slithered away a few feet when I almost stepped on it. Abner had already passed it but I was very curious so I made him stop and I got closer in order to check the critter out. Well, lo and behold, it was a small Copperhead. I have since learned that they are the most common venomous stakes in the Eastern US and aren't' aggressive but have this nasty habit of lying perfectly still hoping to not be noticed. If you do step on or too near one though, you are almost guaranteed a bite. Fortunately I didn't know these details until after I reported seeing him to the security people at the entry gate. The guy I talked to said that this was the first report of one being seen this season, and that they would send their herpetologist up to try to find the little critter and move him to some less traveled location. I didn't realize that they try that hard to regulate the wildlife in the Arboretum. I know they will trap and move a bear if there is a sighting within the grounds, but it surprises me that they would try to relocate a snake. . .even a venomous one. Abner and I, however, escaped our brush with death without a scratch. Blissful ignorance serves me again.

1 comment:

Missin that Southern Charm said...

Hey, good to hear that you are enjoying the south. I wish I could be up there too. But, my plans are to stay down here. We'll see how it goes.