Friday, July 14, 2006

This very cool little toad (I guess. . .don't really know how toads differ from frogs, but he was pretty far from water, so I am going with toad) crossed the path right in front of Abner and me while we were walking in the woods the other day. I didn't even see him until he jumped. He actually looked a lot like a leaf.
This is a type of hydrangea that grows profusely around here. They are snow white and form almost perfect spherical clusters.
OK, this bug was a complete mystery to me but you couldn't miss him on the path so I got down pretty close to snap this picture. He was very slow moving and seemed pretty indifferent to us. I had to convince Abner to back off a little though. I could see him picking the thing up in his mouth to decide whether or not it was a treat.
As I have reported before, the geese at the lagoon are certainly in the family way. People who know about these things inform me that the percentage of goslings that have made it to the size you see in this picture is exceptionally high this year. Several of the couples still have 4 babies with them. Don't know what the predators are eating but it has been a good year for geese. Posted by Picasa

No comments: