Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Just a quickie

 


The most impressive picture above shows the one and only tomato I managed to grow to maturity this year from the 8 plants that I put in various pots, suspended planters, and the ground.  I invested a total of $100 in this adventure so I am thinking this tomato has possibly broken a record for the most expensive one in history.  It rained so much here from late June until now that virtually every plant in Asheville got tomato blight and all the fruit turned black and rotted on the pathetic looking vines.  This is most demoralizing.  I haven't eaten this Van Cleef and Arpels of tomatoes to see if it even tastes like anything decent but I am confident it won't taste like it is worth $100.

Below is a quick shot I took of the walled garden at Biltmore the other day.  Unlike my tomatoes, it is thriving and looks fantastic.  Anyone who has a chance to go see this soon should.  Some of the azaleas that bloom twice per season are also in bloom and looking quite beautiful.  I guess at Biltmore they have planted things that can tolerate monsoon weather.



 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: