Friday, June 22, 2007

Asheville isn't alone in the floral department. I have no idea what these are, but I saw them growing along the edge of someone's garden in Charleston and had to include them in this post.
One of the chief urban characteristics of Charleston that makes it so unique is the intimate scale of the streets and little hidden alleys and walkways that make up the large historic district. The above shot is a shared driveway coming off a tiny alley. It is paved in brick, walled in by the garden walls of the adjacent houses, and is lushly foliated. Below is an alley that is so narrow it is only usable for pedestrians and bicyclists. I got a little arty on this shot experimenting with graduating from color to black and white. I guess it is a dangerous sign that I am starting to play with photo software.

This is a typical residential street in Old Charleston. It really looks like nowhere else that I know of in the US.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: